ive been paying a ton of adc, and even though i have the experience, i cant seem to get my positioning right. ive been trying and trying. but it seems i just get a bit too hard headed and jump in with my team. not 100% sure how im getting it wrong, but thats why im here help plox?

Events Attended

Though you probably already know this, attack move is useful for kiting, especially against annoying assassins that stick to you. It'll likely help when your tanks aren't there (or ignore the enemy assassins), but also when you go against aggressive supports in line, such as Thresh or Leona. The default binding for attack move is Shift+MB2, but you can change it. You can even change it to MB1 which most people find convenient, go into the settinges, because binding to MB1 is impossible in game for some reason. If you do decide to do it, go to Riot Games / League of Legends / Config / PersistedSettings.json (ensuring client is open). Open that file in notepad and find  "name": "evtPlayerAttackMoveClick", around 2/3 of the way down and change it to   "value": "[Button 1]"

Other than that, if you still find yourself dying a lot, try playing more mobile ADC's, like Sivir, Vayne or Tristana, and if you find yourself getting too cocky and dying because you try running close to the tanks or directly into an assassin then play longer ranged ADC's like Caitlyn or Tristana (again :P).

If you're premade with a support or have a co-operative support with randoms; ask them to play a defensive support that can peel and deny kills, like Braum or my personal favourite, Tahm, especially Tahm since he is great for damage denial. Someone with heals like Sona, Nami or Soraka are pretty great if they don't try to facetank the enemies, though the enemies usually get grievous wound items to counter it later, it'll probably help your laning which will let you snowball into late game and dominate anyone who dares face you. >:D

Disclaimer: I don't play ADC a lot, and I'm not good at the game, so take all my advice I gave with a grain of salt.

3 hours ago, TheArcticNinja said:

ive been paying a ton of adc, and even though i have the experience, i cant seem to get my positioning right. ive been trying and trying. but it seems i just get a bit too hard headed and jump in with my team. not 100% sure how im getting it wrong, but thats why im here help plox?

Hey! I'm a support main not an adc main but I definitely see how a lot of adcs position before team fights and during them.

Generally before a fight you want to try to poke a little but if anything dangerous starts to happen back up immediately, if the enemy team engages on you as adc they will win the fight, you want to lower them a little before a fight to pressure whatever objective.

During a fight, don't ever go into their tanks melee range even if there's a low hp carry you think you can kill, just stand whereever you feel safe and attack the most threatening target in range. It's a very dangerous misconception that you need to focus the enemy carries, because as adc it can be a very bad idea to try to go past their front lines, just hit who it is safe to and you'll usually win fights.

After a team fight if there's anybody on the enemy team alive, think if anyone alive can solo kill you, if so, follow your team and claim any open objectives. If not, you can push a different lane. Always be trying to think if you'd try to solo kill you if you were playing the enemy's champion.

In laning phase play to your champions strength, don't let your support force you to play outside what your champion is good at. Poke and avoid trades as mf, pressure cs as draven, trade a lot as jhin etc.

Hope this helps a little

Events Attended

to be honest that really does. my biggest problem (being in gold) is that no one ever focus's said carry. its always hit this guy, dont care about anyone else. tank or not. and so i always go out of position to do their job. in the end my mechanics have gotten to toned, its hard to beat me. (not trying to be egotistical but...) but its really difficult to carry when i die due to my team hitting the wrong people or the like..... believe it or not. this helped quite a bit

Events Attended

6 hours ago, TheArcticNinja said:

to be honest that really does. my biggest problem (being in gold) is that no one ever focus's said carry. its always hit this guy, dont care about anyone else. tank or not. and so i always go out of position to do their job. in the end my mechanics have gotten to toned, its hard to beat me. (not trying to be egotistical but...) but its really difficult to carry when i die due to my team hitting the wrong people or the like..... believe it or not. this helped quite a bit

That's good, glad to hear it ^^ good luck climbing

Events Attended

Let them be your meat shields always be greedy for your own life let those bronze noobs blow their cooldowns on your team. Then get in there and give it to them HARD. or also don't be that marksman who tries to run past 4 people just to get to the enemy Caitlyn. Like just attack whoever is closest to you. You can watch pro analysts breakdown teamfighting in solo Q games (don't watch LCS to learn about solo Q 2 totally different games) 

Events Attended

I would say the most important thing about adcing is farming well.  Getting ahead in cs and getting a 2 item damage spike is key. 

Events Attended

Not being an adc main myself, what has helped my adc friend tremendously is watching streams and also LCS. If you watch the LCS, and look carefully at how their adcs play, you'll notice an insane amount of "down time". For competitive mmo players like myself, nothing less than MAXIMUM DPS AND TOPPING DEM DAMAGE METERS ever goes, but I think this is a wrong mindset in League. You see those pro adcs hang around in the backlines for a pretty long time, and once the enemy team is a bit more committed to something that is not them, they go forward and start shitting on things. I'm not saying this is how to do it in soloqueue, but I'm saying that taking your time a bit before committing can maybe pay off.

Another thing is understanding threat. What is the most likely thing to kill you and how will you avoid getting killed? Having a plan for every moment in the game really helps. "Ok so Annie has flash, she's gonna look to flash tibbers me so I should be ready to flash her flash" - that sort of thing. It's kinda hard to do honestly, I'm not managing always, I get caught out by Ahri or Thresh all the time because I'm shit, but as time goes by it becomes more instinct than active thought, so the other day I surprised myself by automatically flashing a Malphite ult from bush, without having thought about the Malph before at all. Maybe nothing spectacular, but nothing I would have done before and it felt good. The small things that make you better, I guess.

Also, yes, what those people before me said: No matter how much your team is crying to FOCUS THE KOG FFS, don't go out of your way to do that, and the only way you can/should is if the Kog is out of position himself. I know you said it helps to win if you do, but then your question on positioning is moot: you can never be positioned well if you're practically in the middle of enemy team trying to kill their carry. :P Focus whatever is closest to you - your job is not to kill their backline, that's the job of your assassins or bruisers. If your Zed keeps ulting the Galio, ask him to go on the enemy carry next time (nicely.. Else they'll feel touched in the balls and they'll go afk). They may not realize their mistake (really!), more often than not they'll do it.

My positioning is always atrocious so honestly again I'm not one to speak, but maybe watching those streams, replays and even lcs will help you understand better where to be at any given time, and also that rushing in to MAX DPS is maybe not always the answer.

Edited by Sec

Events Attended

Don't run past 4 enemies just to get to the other enemy ADC, AS the ADC. Your position as marksman role you are a high priority target, you're squishy so where do you think you belong ? 

In the front ? No you aren't made to soak up abunch of damage and CC the enemy.  Just stick in the back use Priority Target switching with whoever is in the safest distance to attack. 

Say a Braum and Chogath are both infront of you, they are at the same distance so now it's just about who is higher priority assuming they are both same HP and whatnot. Then it's just all about dodging skillshots as you're "kiting back" your teamates should always be infront of you you want to be the closest teamate to your own base lmao.

Use them as meatshields let them do all the greedy shit and you cleanup. 

Events Attended

The best thing you can do to improve your positioning, is playing Vayne and Kalista. As these have barely any room for error, the best way to learn is the hard way. Focus highest priority at all times, keep summoner spells in mind and be careful for anything that can get you killed, including cc. Only play aggressive when cc has been used and you can get free damage (ex.: if an enemy is cc'ed).

Try to always stay near towers, away from walls and close to your allies that can peel. However, try to avoid being near any other carry on your team as this makes it easier for enemies to aoe or cc at least one carry.

Another thing: don't use attack move click too often, as this tool is used to kite your closest target, which is most likely not going to be a priority. Only use it to kite backwards from people or chase in fog of war.

Most important to learn, is not to just read all these posts. THIS IS ONLY KNOWLEDGE. You have to practice to get good at positioning, after every death in a fight, ask yourself what went wrong where could I have made the difference, and look at your replays, analyse the fights and see where you could have dealt more damage to higher priority targets.

(don't rely on peel in soloQ ;)), if you still struggle after some time I can analyse a game for you if you want.

Edited by MrEezeh

Events Attended

IMO if you want to learn ADC. Cait is a great starter ADC to play. You need to get comfortable with orb walking and positioning. Cait gives you range to have a safe laning phase, keeps you at a solid distance in team fights and gives you peel for yourself also.

Events Attended