Shiro

What have you learned while climbing?

Shiro    2

I started the season in Bronze III and just hit Silver II. I've never felt closer to my goal of getting Gold, so I'm hoping this is the season I get it.

Anyway, here are a few things I learned:

• I can't jungle. This is something I learned last season when I was hard-stuck in Bronze IV/V because I was determined to jungle. The second I switched to playing Cassiopeia mid, however, I suddenly jumped up to Silver with around an 80% winrate on the champion.
  • It is possible to climb as a support main. I still have to question the viability of a utility support like Janna(at least in my elo), but my best winrate is currently with Zyra. So I'm actually climbing faster as support than a mid laner right now.
  • To an extent, I've come to disagree with the "play Annie" advice. I could see this being good advice for some players, but the keyword there is some. Rather, I think a better piece of advice would be to go look at your op.gg and check your statistics with a champion. If you have a 33% winrate on Yasuo, then maybe playing Yasuo is holding you back.

This isn't something I came up either. I had a master tier player suggest I do this and I feel like it can apply to anyone.

I'll leave it at that because I gotta run, but I'd love to hear some things other people have learned while climbing. 

Events Attended

2 minutes ago, Shiro said:

• To an extent, I've come to disagree with the "play Annie" advice.

WAT

Real talk tho you're right just spam someone you enjoy playing/are good with or if you prefer you can have a small champion pool, but having a larger champion pool doesn't really benefit you until you reach levels where counters are actually relevant.

Few things I've learned back in the day where I played ranked (last season):

- Placements don't matter, the lower you get placed the higher you can snowball your MMR (I got placed S4 last season, did not lose a game until S1 and then skipped G4 and G2 because my MMR was above due to the constant winrate), starting at a level you know you can get out of easily is actually beneficial in some cases.

- Duo, yeah it messes with your MMR, but it helps keep your sanity, I can thank my duo for a lot of my wins last season because of the jungle camp to snowball me to trinity force on GP where you can actually start carrying.

- 33% winrate Yasuo will still play Yasuo, (but only if he's on your team).

- Don't look up the ranks of the players on the enemy team, it's pointless, they're in your game for a reason, so don't look them up and tell yourself "I'm against someone two leagues above me this lane is going to suck". They're not the top players of their rank if they're playing in a game two leagues lower.

- The best bans are the bans that you both don't want on your team and the enemy team (Riven, Yi, Yasuo, etc).

16 minutes ago, Shiro said:

• It is possible to climb as a support main. I still have to question the viability of a utility support like Janna(at least in my elo), but my best winrate is currently with Zyra. So I'm actually climbing faster as support than a mid laner right now.

Supports such as Janna only shine when you and your team know how to utilize them, in most cases, they are just worse options in lower elo solo queue than "supports" (Zyra, Brando, Vel'koz) because the "supports" can punish mistakes easier in lane and snowball due to the damage output they have.

"Supports" take the damage reliance out of your carry players and allows you to be a larger part of the team's damage, which is important for low elo climbing as you don't really want to put that faith in your teammates, playing support-ier supports like Janna/Thresh/Alistar are better when you can put the faith in your teammates to deal the damage, which is only possible when you duo/are at a mid-high level/are somehow thinking the bronze Zed is gonna pop off.

But yeah, Zyra can solo carry no problem (I preferred old Zyra though *salt*).

Events Attended

KillerRex    95

I've learned that I'm shit

sorry not very productive post smh

Events Attended

R3D    0

I've learnt that I have a lot to learn and that every game is chance to look back at my performance and amend something to make me a better player and to 100% ignore the chat box haha

Events Attended

Macon3    4

I've learned I like the game, because I still play it and i'm descending, not climbing the ranks, haha.

Events Attended

Focus on a select few heros, learn your counters abilities, you should be golden.

Events Attended

Natsugi    1

Don't be caught drinking tea when a team jumps on you from a bush. My old keyboard had to suffer that one...

Events Attended

Whisper    0

When I finally got out of Silver and Gold I realized that my team wasn't the problem. It's something I keep hearing from lower elo players. "But my team.." >> ! STOP ! Start looking at yourself! ;)

Events Attended

Aleire    4
On 7/6/2017 at 4:42 PM, Whisper said:

When I finally got out of Silver and Gold I realized that my team wasn't the problem. It's something I keep hearing from lower elo players. "But my team.." >> ! STOP ! Start looking at yourself! ;)

This is super important advice, sometimes your team doesn't do great but it's random, the enemy team could do just as poorly.

On 7/1/2017 at 5:29 AM, Shiro said:

I started the season in Bronze III and just hit Silver II. I've never felt closer to my goal of getting Gold, so I'm hoping this is the season I get it.

Through looking at Champion.gg a little bit, it seems like utility supports have the lowest winrates of pretty much anything in Bronze elos, so it's correct to question Janna in bronze, in silver it's a little more reasonable averaging around ~48.5-49%, gold+ most utility supports are slightly over 50

Anyways, from my experince climbing from silver 5 this season to gold 1 and soon plat, 

I've learned that I'm the only person that I can impact in a game to change the outcome, I can type to other players but I cannot force them to do anything.

I've learned what champions pair well particularly bot lane as I'm a support main

I've learned that what champions pair well bot lane ultimately doesn't matter because I'm just playing Lulu anyways

I've learned map things, importance of warding, vision denial, crossmapping, using advantages to push for more advantages, etc.

I've learned being mechanically skilled with a champion doesn't mean much in terms of climbing and that it's all about decision making and map awareness.

It doesn't matter if what you play has a 45% or a 55% winrate, if you enjoy it and you are good at it you will win games. Like I've been maining a champion that currently has a 47%                winrate.

Anyways yeah I help some of this information helps someone

Edited by Aleire

Events Attended

Shensations    2
On 7/1/2017 at 5:29 AM, Shiro said:

Learned that shen can't 1v5 carry ;(

Events Attended

MrEezeh*    1

Things I've learned:

1. Play meta picks, practice them for at least 20 games (if you enjoy them and they suit your playstyle)
    1. Don't pick up high skill champs tho, they will take you too much time. (and need too much concentration when not mastered)
    2. Learn their win condition, and abuse it.
    3. Try to counter as much as you can, and learn to play against counters as well. (learn their matchups, so you can abuse [5])
  2. Play only when you are feeling fresh
    1. Dont play when you can't concentrate (background noise etc.)
  3. Stop playing after 2 losses in a row
  4. Stick to only a few champions / role (max 5 for main role / 3 for others)
  5. Have an early impact (force enemies into mistakes and punish them as hard as u can)
  6. Keep vision at ALL times
  7. Ping your team whenever you are in trouble / whenever they are in trouble. (Shotcalling is VERY important in soloQ)
  8. If you are ahead, try to get your team ahead by laneswapping / roaming
  9. Focus mostly on yourself, and PLEASE ask yourself what you could have done better if ANYTHING went wrong. (otherwise you won't improve)
  10. Make sure you are optimizing your build / masteries, and don't copy these from pro's. ADEPT your build to your own playstyle.
  11. Don't DUO unless you have certain synergy or it gives you a better win condition. (so no strangers.)
  12. When ganking or roaming, don't be afraid of wards you can mostly completly ignore warded areas. (and try to camp laners that dont have summs)

Last but not least:
Damage is what wins games, your ADC and midlaners are your best friends for LP (don't take their kills if u don't need the gold). You can't carry a game by yourself.

Hope this helps :)

Edited by MrEezeh

Events Attended

Shensations    2
1 hour ago, MrEezeh said:

Things I've learned:

1. Play meta picks, practice them for at least 20 games (if you enjoy them and they suit your playstyle)
    1. Don't pick up high skill champs tho, they will take you too much time. (and need too much concentration when not mastered)
    2. Learn their win condition, and abuse it.
    3. Try to counter as much as you can, and learn to play against counters as well. (learn their matchups, so you can abuse [5])
  2. Play only when you are feeling fresh
    1. Dont play when you can't concentrate (background noise etc.)
  3. Stop playing after 2 losses in a row
  4. Stick to only a few champions / role (max 5 for main role / 3 for others)
  5. Have an early impact (force enemies into mistakes and punish them as hard as u can)
  6. Keep vision at ALL times
  7. Ping your team whenever you are in trouble / whenever they are in trouble. (Shotcalling is VERY important in soloQ)
  8. If you are ahead, try to get your team ahead by laneswapping / roaming
  9. Focus mostly on yourself, and PLEASE ask yourself what you could have done better if ANYTHING went wrong. (otherwise you won't improve)
  10. Make sure you are optimizing your build / masteries, and don't copy these from pro's. ADEPT your build to your own playstyle.
  11. Don't DUO unless you have certain synergy or it gives you a better win condition. (so no strangers.)
  12. When ganking or roaming, don't be afraid of wards you can mostly completly ignore warded areas. (and try to camp laners that dont have summs)

Last but not least:
Damage is what wins games, your ADC and midlaners are your best friends for LP (don't take their kills if u don't need the gold). You can't carry a game by yourself.

Hope this helps :)

"Last but not least:
Damage is what wins games, your ADC and midlaners are your best friends for LP (don't take their kills if u don't need the gold). You can't carry a game by yourself."

This is so important, ive played games and simply won of the fact people feed kills to carries so they can one shot. The difference it makes it insane

Events Attended

Jomexer    0

I learned that I can't carry 4 useless teammates every game

Events Attended

Aleire    4
On 7/1/2017 at 5:54 AM, DrPhilandChill said:

Real talk tho you're right just spam someone you enjoy playing/are good with or if you prefer you can have a small champion pool, but having a larger champion pool doesn't really benefit you until you reach levels where counters are actually relevant.

Some counters are really hard and matter really at every level of play for example a lissandra vs zed mid lane matchup. It really doesn't matter the skill level of either player, similar things happen top lane aswell with teemo or quinn vs certain melee champions

Events Attended

ZeekUma    2

Get a duo partner, I flew from b3 to g5 in a blink as a support main but then slammed into a Brick wall. Looking anywhere from 3-8 games at a time...this was one of the most demoralizing things that has ever happened to me in league.

The take away from climbing is that you need to force yourself to be a consistent player, not an all-star every game. If you get frustrated you can't carry don't freak out. You won't always be the shining star of your team even if your mid or adc. If you can get your jungle kha/reksai/ww/ whatever stupid Fed use their power to help them carry you. Control Baron and Dragon and enemy buffs.

Work with your team, not against them.

Events Attended

Aleire    4
Just now, ZeekUma said:

Get a duo partner, I flew from b3 to g5 in a blink as a support main but then slammed into a Brick wall. Looking anywhere from 3-8 games at a time...this was one of the most demoralizing things that has ever happened to me in league.

The take away from climbing is that you need to force yourself to be a consistent player, not an all-star every game. If you get frustrated you can't carry don't freak out. You won't always be the shining star of your team even if your mid or adc. If you can get your jungle kha/reksai/ww/ whatever stupid Fed use their power to help them carry you. Control Baron and Dragon and enemy buffs.

Work with your team, not against them.

Note to other support mains btw, warding the enemy jungle goes a really long way to preventing the enemy from ganking and allowing counterjungling and provides a ton of map pressure because you can way out rotate the enemy team. Just.. watch bot lane and make sure their jungle shows top before you go into their jungle alone :P (Especially with new duskblade the enemy jungle is a much scarier place)

Events Attended

OurCarry    1

One tricking in this game has its ups and downs. I'd say learning the game right now is the most important thing you can do. I think the thing you should know the ins and outs of is general rotations, farming and freezing. UNLESS YOUR THE JG OR SUPPORT you need to hit 96cs in 10 mins IN PRACTICE TOOL. If you can do that consistently I GUARANTEE YOU Bronze-silver WILL BE A BREEZE. In practice tool you need to make sure your last hitting, NOT PUSHING. This will teach you how to freeze. If you want to keep the minions in a frozen position near your tower you need to make sure your zoning your enemy laner and that there are 4 more cs in their wave then yours, IF YOU DON'T ZONE YOUR LANER HE WILL SHOVE WHICH WILL CAUSE YOUR WAVE TO BOUNCE. You ONLY FREEZE when you can poke you enemy down or you have an ALL IN LEAD(if your enemy laner comes up to farm you can kill). 96cs in 10 and general rotations alone I think can get you to gold rather easily. Play easy in meta champs that carry is essential to learning the game. YOU DO THIS and YOU WILL SEE IMPROVEMENT. Most problems occur because of laning phase. People f it up. Look at your recordings and know your match ups. track cds and THINK. DON'T AUTOPILOT whatever you do! GENERAL ROTATIONS- say your top lane for instance, you have first tower and your wave is pushed in.  Your mid lane is struggling and needs to base. Enemy mid lane is shoving towards your tower!! DO NOT GO BACK TOP!!!! YOU GO MID. Don't be monkeys! Game is simple, just gotta think! I wanna see you all in gold so hope this advice is put to good use! ALSO PINKS! ALWAYS! Msg me anytime for advice!

~Carry

Events Attended

Sec    0

I learned that there's no "I can't". The only CAN'T is your own imposed limitations. I always thought i could never adc, that the role was too hard, that the mechanics required too high. Now I somehow became passable - that is to say, nowadays, it's my second best role to play. I did a lot of research, watched a lot of replays, played on a new account so I wouldn't have the stress of playing against players that would destroy me. I just decided to I wanted to get good at it, despite all the odds, simply because  I felt my play overall, in any role, would improve so much if I could adc even 1% better. 

So now, I have set my mind on jungling. I felt the same as I did with adc (I would never be able to jungle well, etc....), but after the adc adventure, I decided to try. I've done hours of research, hours of practice tool (what a wonderous thing), and hopefully soon I will have the balls to actually queue as a jungler and try it out and hopefully become good at it, someday. I'm just a bit shy to actually get to it, something I fixed by playing on a new account when I went for adc - but unlike any other role, level 1 accounts are pretty bad for jungler practice. Just need to gather some courage now.

Events Attended

On 7/1/2017 at 8:28 AM, KillerRex said:

I've learned that I'm shit

sorry not very productive post smh

Agree.

4 hours ago, Aleire said:

Some counters are really hard and matter really at every level of play for example a lissandra vs zed mid lane matchup. It really doesn't matter the skill level of either player, similar things happen top lane aswell with teemo or quinn vs certain melee champions

Shaco never has a hard time :3

I learn that split push for the win. Don't care about ur team feed urself. Deny enemy jungler camps especially raptors. Power farm if u have to. Kill kill and kill. Did I mention kill the enemy squishies. Look at the map for where the enemy team might be.

Events Attended

I've learned to play more conservative the higher I go. Also pink/control wards will almost always end up getting me killed if I try to finish that last hit it needs to die.

Events Attended

lukoroten    1

I learned to just mute every one and dont talk to much in chat xD

GoodKush69    1

I'm not saying that everybody else is trash. I'm just saying i'm gonna steal my team's farm and act like they are non existent

RJKJS    1

That I should never gank bot lane because they burned me too many times, camp top and mid all day erry day

#FreeTyler1

Events Attended

Trackson    3

^ I'm a bot lane main... Bad things happen in the bot lane. 5 man dives. I cri long time. Then run it down mid

#freetyler1

Events Attended

SteenkTank    1
On 7/19/2017 at 0:47 PM, Sec said:

I learned that there's no "I can't". The only CAN'T is your own imposed limitations. I always thought i could never adc, that the role was too hard, that the mechanics required too high. Now I somehow became passable - that is to say, nowadays, it's my second best role to play. I did a lot of research, watched a lot of replays, played on a new account so I wouldn't have the stress of playing against players that would destroy me. I just decided to I wanted to get good at it, despite all the odds, simply because  I felt my play overall, in any role, would improve so much if I could adc even 1% better. 

So now, I have set my mind on jungling. I felt the same as I did with adc (I would never be able to jungle well, etc....), but after the adc adventure, I decided to try. I've done hours of research, hours of practice tool (what a wonderous thing), and hopefully soon I will have the balls to actually queue as a jungler and try it out and hopefully become good at it, someday. I'm just a bit shy to actually get to it, something I fixed by playing on a new account when I went for adc - but unlike any other role, level 1 accounts are pretty bad for jungler practice. Just need to gather some courage now.

Just mute all for your first few games. As the Jungler people are going to blame you for everything, at first when your confidence is low you don't need that crap. After that focus on map objectives and warding. you live and die, quite literally, by your wards. Warding a lane is more effective than waiting to counter gank it in some cases. 

I am in still in bronze so my perspective probably isn't as well rounded  as it could be but what I have noticed is that the lower you go in bronze the easier the player tilts, not always but generally.

Events Attended