OmegaEinhorn

Pokemon CORE Switch

http://www.ign.com/articles/2017/06/13/e3-2017-a-core-pokemon-rpg-is-in-development-for-nintendo-switch

Many have been clamoring for a Pokemon game on the current console (whether we should consider Switch a console, portable or hybrid) and Nintendo had come forth.

Does this devalue the 3ds Pokemon Ultra games? I have no funds to afford a Switch (or I'd be playing Zelda as I type, NERDS!) but if a Pokemon game comes there as well, it definitely pulls the Switch up on my list of wants. I liked the idea of Nintendo having Pokemon as a mobile-only option, but with the Switch is that even an argument?

Truth be told, I dunno what to think. I'm suposta buy the consoles and the mobiles anyways, but as a PC tech geek fella I only but for the things I MUST play and wait for emulation otherwise. BotW seems like a must-play, and so does the new Pokemon. But, when times are tighter than ever, should I hang on and wait out the prices?

Events Attended

I actually do think the announcement of the Core Pokemon Game on the Switch devalues the Ultra Sun & Moon games, at least for the non-competitive players.

The VGC2018 format is likely to have Ultra Sun & Moon as the game of choice, even though Sun & Moon have only been out for 1 year, so the value to comp players is still high.

Since it's an alternate story (Correct me if I'm wrong here), it probably appeals less to the rest of the potential player-base, and the announcement of a "Core, RPG-Style" game on the Switch lowers it's potential value even more.

I'd say you should probably do some work on your budget and save up for the Switch + the game. I think the Switch will be more than worth it once it comes out, especially with Mario Odyssey looking phenomenal and BOTW being such a fantastic game already (with apparently DLCs coming).

Events Attended

2 minutes ago, Eastonn8 said:

I actually do think the announcement of the Core Pokemon Game on the Switch devalues the Ultra Sun & Moon games, at least for the non-competitive players.

This is what I feared.

I try to be up-to-date on Pokemon but isn't that already done with Showdown?

Events Attended

38 minutes ago, OmegaEinhorn said:

This is what I feared.

I try to be up-to-date on Pokemon but isn't that already done with Showdown?

It is, but for irl tourneys and the world championship u need cart. Otherwise @Ketchupplant would be tops in worlds cp :3

Events Attended

4 minutes ago, 13thShade said:

It is, but for irl tourneys and the world championship u need cart. Otherwise @Ketchupplant would be tops in worlds cp :3

Never. I'd be in the top 10.000 if I would cheat.

Events Attended

14 hours ago, Eastonn8 said:

The VGC2018 format is likely to have Ultra Sun & Moon as the game of choice, even though Sun & Moon have only been out for 1 year, so the value to comp players is still high.

Since it's an alternate story (Correct me if I'm wrong here), it probably appeals less to the rest of the potential player-base, and the announcement of a "Core, RPG-Style" game on the Switch lowers it's potential value even more.

I'd say you should probably do some work on your budget and save up for the Switch + the game. I think the Switch will be more than worth it once it comes out, especially with Mario Odyssey looking phenomenal and BOTW being such a fantastic game already (with apparently DLCs coming).

agreed with all of this

Events Attended

I'm looking at a Christmas MAAAYBE for just the system. Fortunately my birthday is 28th, but I'm targeting Zelda with that.

Events Attended

I don't know if it devalues ultra sun and ultra moon. It only makes sense that Nintendo would move one of their biggest series to their new console to boost sales, plus the graphics the Switch is capable of would set high standards for the new games.

Personally, I'm a big Nintendo fan, and I like buying everything I can in order to support the company, so I tend to avoid emulators whenever possible. I'll be interested in the new 3DS games no matter what because I just want all the Pokemon I can get my hands on, haha.

Anyway, if money is tight, and ultra sun and moon don't really interest you much, I would just save for a switch. Breath of the Wild is gorgeous on it and it's such an incredible game, plus Super Mario Odyssey will be coming out this winter, and more core Pokemon games will surely follow the new ones.

Events Attended

18 hours ago, Koenkloo said:

Personally, I'm a big Nintendo fan, and I like buying everything I can in order to support the company, so I tend to avoid emulators whenever possible. I'll be interested in the new 3DS games no matter what because I just want all the Pokemon I can get my hands on, haha.

Agreed. I'm an unabashed Nintendo fanboy. Got an NES on the day I was born, literally grew up with a Nintendo controller in my hand. I try to send as much of my available disposable income their way, but I emulate anything that I can simply because I just love to play them so much as well as the fact that at one time I actually owned all of the hardware and software (not an excuse for emulating, I know, but I really can't find an old Gameboy in my area - even if I could afford it). I do plan on saving for a Switch, but Zelda will come first, Pokemon is a distant second in that regard.

Events Attended

1 hour ago, OmegaEinhorn said:

Agreed. I'm an unabashed Nintendo fanboy. Got an NES on the day I was born, literally grew up with a Nintendo controller in my hand. I try to send as much of my available disposable income their way, but I emulate anything that I can simply because I just love to play them so much as well as the fact that at one time I actually owned all of the hardware and software (not an excuse for emulating, I know, but I really can't find an old Gameboy in my area - even if I could afford it). I do plan on saving for a Switch, but Zelda will come first, Pokemon is a distant second in that regard.

Sounds good! And yeah, you basically have to emulate old games now because they're so hard to come by, unless they're on virtual console.

I have a Switch and Zelda myself, and I have to agree that making that your priority is no mistake. That game is freaking fantastic.

Events Attended