BeerCheese

Useful Tips, Tricks, and Tibits

I figured a thread to compile tips and general knowledge would be good to have as a resource for newer players and vets alike. They can range from the obvious to the obscure - knowledge is power and all of it should be shared!

1. Learn to love thine Alt key - first and foremost is the all important ALT key.. Pressing and holding ALT in game will better highlight your teammates' moves, it will show all the CDs on all the abilities of friends and visible foes PLUS show the mods taken on them if you mouse over them, PLUS show available catas on all of them! Those three colored bars you see on the left of the health bars? Green is prep cata, yellow is dash cata (the important one), and red the blast cata. I pretty much use the ALT key nearly every turn. The ALT key to me is more important than anything else on my keyboard when I play Atlas.

2.  Keeping Tabs - want to know what mods your enemies are rolling, but you don't have vision on them so the almighty ALT key does nothing? Hit the Tab key to bring up the scoreboard, and lo and behold, in the top left - there's a tab labelled STATS, and one labelled ABILITY MODS. Click the Ability Mods one and you'll bring up a screen that shows EVERY person's abilities, their CDs, and their mods when you mouse over those abilities. Certain characters should ALWAYS prompt you to bring this up at the beginning of a match when you go against them - two that come to mind are PuP and whether he has dash on invis, and Zuki if she has through walls or extra range on her ult. This is also immensely useful to check dash CDs on characters that you don't have vision on.

3. Vision grants victory - this one took me a couple of seasons to find out, but there's a way to sort of check if your enemies have vision on you or not; by pressing and holding the "V" key, you will see ONLY what your character can see. What does this mean? Well, any enemy that falls outside of your vision, that of course means you are outside of their vision as well! If you press and hold V and see no enemies, that means no enemy can see you (not always true of course, an invisible Nix or someone hidden in a bush that you don't see will of course spot you for the rest of their team).

4. We require a shrubbery (ni!) -  In general, it's a good idea NOT to go into a shroud on turn 2 (though there are of course exceptions, Hyperforge map being a big one). The reason is is that many of those shrouds lie in places that the enemy won't be able to see you from on turn 2 because they are too far away, so taking an action in there is just pointlessly burning a potential area of stealth away from your side of the map. This is especially important when going against characters like Kaigin or PuP who can jump on you from out of god damn nowhere if you aren't hidden for a LOT of damage. You want to be stealthed in those shrouds on turn 3 when it will be relevant, rather than turn 2 when it doesn't matter.

5. Orbs, objectives, orbjectives! - I'm pretty sure the tutorial goes over this one, but it's amazing to me how many players I run into that either don't know about this or ignore it - those pads that spawn health, might, energize, and haste orbs? The lights on them indicate when those orbs will spawn. The orbs spawn on the turn that all 4 bars will be lit up - meaning that if there are 3 bars lit, an orb is spawning at the START of the next turn. This is especially important for the health orbs - stand on the pad at 3 lights and you get the health next turn. Use those lights on the health spawns to help plan your movements. If your team can get into positions where they secure the healths, they stand a very strong chance at winning the game. Something else to be mindful of - those lights going dark means someone just picked up the orb on that pad! This is extremely useful as scouting info on enemies you can't see and don't know where they are. If a haste orb suddenly disappears in the fog of war, an enemy just ran over it! Similarly, if a pad goes from 3 lights to completely dark? That means an enemy is literally standing on that pad. Shoot shoot shoot! This is also important to watch for as there are many players who like to cata or dash to those orbs, so even if you can't "see" them, you know exactly where they are.

Those are a few off the top of my head. I'll add more as I think of them, and I encourage others to do the same!

• Like 1

Events Attended

V, Alt, and mod awareness are all things that it took dozens and dozens of games to figure out. Good advice for the older players too!

Events Attended

Thanks, I'm a new player and thoses are very usefull tips, I figured out the orbs one very recently and it changed everything on how I play the game !

Events Attended

When Tol-Ren jumps to the one square with enemy he stops behind him. I think this is an intresting feature

Events Attended