HashTag

Thread for general pvp knowledge

This is basically so everyone shares their pvp knowledge both on official or unofficial servers, both for large tribes or solo combat. This way we all learn and get better at the game. Post videos, reddit/steam links and just overall tips and tricks.

Basic things I have learned:

-Always carry parachutes or grapples (if you get picked without these, youre dead)

-When in a sniper battle, use your movement speed. Strafe around but dont be predictible. Jumping is a wierd thing, on the one hand, its harder to hit you, on the other though, he knows where you will be when you land. If facing a good player this means you will get headshotted

-Always have the rider protected by foundation and pillar on thing with platform saddles like brontos, quetzes and paracers. These tames are tanky and this way you wont get sniped off.

-Ascendant clubs and a few points on melee/battle tartare will completely destroy anyone with melee weapons or shotguns, just run around and hit them until they are k.o.

Events Attended

If you have a lot of carry weight, carry stones and other heavy useless things (many different items for best effect). If people try to quick loot you they get overburdened.

Bring stimulants.

Use buff food.

Events Attended

On official, don't hatch or tame/breed tons of dinos early, a huge dino pen with tons of large dinos makes you an immediate priority raid target. Make sure your base is built well, you have decent armor and guns, and are ready to defend it, as the second the other players on the server see you tame something like a giga or lots of brontos/rexes you've put a bullseye on your head and they understand they need to wipe you now or risk you becoming an alpha.

When building a base structure, NEVER build large open rooms, always honeycomb the structure with the most important items in the innermost layer. not honeycombing your base makes it really easy and cheap to raid, plus the entire structure collapses very easily with the removal of only the few outer walls at the base.

Outer walls of all important buildings should always be at least double, preferrably triple foundation, and at the minimum double wall/ceiling.

Never build turret towers too close to your outer walls, when the doors on the outer wall blows you can easily sprint up to them and blow the base with c4.

hide some vaults around areas of the map with emergency supplies to rebuild quickly with if needed.

when building on pillars, make sure the main structure of the base is no more than two tiles away from a real foundation, and always re-enforce the pillars with walls and doorframes as needed.

reputation carries, if you build a reputation for simply running away every time you're raided you mark yourself as an easy target, as people don't fear retaliation.  If someone attacks you, you should always re-gather and counter attack, even if only to do some damage then back off. Ragequitting and leaving your tribe during a raid makes the entire tribe look bad.

These are pvp servers, don't expect to be able to freely build and live in peace forever, expect to be raided, expect to be wiped, be prepared to rebuild/retame dinos. This is the very nature of ark pvp, you raid, and you get raided, it's the game, always be prepared for it.  Once you get good at rebuilding and hiding emergency cache's you really don't lose much time. If you can save anything during a raid prioritize high level blueprints.

Events Attended

these are all really helpful to a noob like me, thanks for the thread!!

Events Attended

I'm sure this is a pretty common one, but when shooting guns, bullets have 0 travel time and 0 bullet drop.  So dont lead a target, aim directly for them and shoot.   This does not apply to tranq darts or bows/cross bows.

Events Attended

YouTube is your friend here. A few good channels to subscribe to are nooblets.com, Jay Cartere, Fresonis and, a new favorite of mine, captain fatdog - ARK: Building Tips. 

Always use your resources if you don't know something. It is better to ask questions from your tribe, or in this case the Division (which has a great deal of knowledge). 

Other than those, things you can do for yourself to help in PvP, I think, include: 

1. Don't get frustrated! You will die, and you will die often. 
  2. If you are unsure of a map or an area of the map, scout first. Do not take your best gear, or Dino, into unknown territory.
  3. Along with #2 carry a sleeping bag, just in case you die. This will give you a spawn point near so that you are able to quickly find your tame again. If you plan on scouting a large area, bring several. 
  4. Have provisions. Make sure you have, at a minimum, a canteen (or water skin?), and food. Cooked meat is best if you do not have recipes for better quality food items. 
  5. Last, but not least, HAVE FUN. It is, after all, a game. I know, far too well, that you can easily lose your temperament in a game like this. You will spend countless hours over some of the smallest things, but if you aren't having fun then take a step back and see if you can find a better style that may suit you. In a tribe, there are many roles that need to be filled. Things like building, meat and berry runs, defense building, running caves and so much more are all integral parts of a tribe, especially as it grows. 

Events Attended

4 hours ago, ToxicEnigma said:

YouTube is your friend here. A few good channels to subscribe to are nooblets.com, Jay Cartere, Fresonis and, a new favorite of mine, captain fatdog - ARK: Building Tips. 

Always use your resources if you don't know something. It is better to ask questions from your tribe, or in this case the Division (which has a great deal of knowledge). 

Other than those, things you can do for yourself to help in PvP, I think, include: 

1. Don't get frustrated! You will die, and you will die often. 
  2. If you are unsure of a map or an area of the map, scout first. Do not take your best gear, or Dino, into unknown territory.
  3. Along with #2 carry a sleeping bag, just in case you die. This will give you a spawn point near so that you are able to quickly find your tame again. If you plan on scouting a large area, bring several. 
  4. Have provisions. Make sure you have, at a minimum, a canteen (or water skin?), and food. Cooked meat is best if you do not have recipes for better quality food items. 
  5. Last, but not least, HAVE FUN. It is, after all, a game. I know, far too well, that you can easily lose your temperament in a game like this. You will spend countless hours over some of the smallest things, but if you aren't having fun then take a step back and see if you can find a better style that may suit you. In a tribe, there are many roles that need to be filled. Things like building, meat and berry runs, defense building, running caves and so much more are all integral parts of a tribe, especially as it grows. 

the 5th point is completely true. Not everyone needs to be a good sniper, if you enjoy things like breeding and building, large tribes will have a spot for you still :)

Events Attended

Oh cool, this got perma posted, now everyone will see this and post their tips :)

Events Attended

Only get your farming dinos sorted until you can get a big enough  base to defend other tames 

Events Attended

Very helpful. Thank you

Events Attended

On 12/06/2017 at 5:48 PM, PrincessRex said:

these are all really helpful to a noob like me, thanks for the thread!!

13 minutes ago, Voltron said:

Very helpful. Thank you

Glad to help everyone out :)

Events Attended

Use chain bolas if You are getting Raided by a large amount of quetzals, or have 5 or 6 people fill themselves with weight and grapple a quetz in the site of turrets. 

Events Attended

Basic knowledge for ark is try not to die of cold in scorched Earth

Events Attended

I like to have a lot of movement speed for running and clubing 

:D

• Upvote 1

Healt and weight all the way.

Events Attended

Since Arks offical release you can now use gamma 3 or gamma 4 commands in the consoles so you can now PvP at night without any issues!  This works on offical servers aswell

Edited by Ashz11

Events Attended

Really nice thanks. also i recommend painting your armor or cloths forest green to blend in more easily

Dunno if this still works...

Grapple a shoulder mount it will keep you from getting picked-up.

*Found this on Youtube by NerdParade

Events Attended

Honestly serious pvpers might scoff at this but its for the people that might not be great at the pvp combat. I want to say that  an army needs more then seal teams. Although granted we all wish we had mad skills theres still lots of jobs to make pvp work well. Ive long ago realized I aint a mad warrior but most folks are happy to have me as a planner, builder and general worker to enhance their game. My point is come join us for pvp there is a job for you

Events Attended

Never just build one base and leave all your stuff there when your playing solo on PVP. Always build smaller sub-bases around the map with everything you usually use there + 1 or 2 storage chests where you divide all your important recources in them, on each base. trust me, i wish i thought of this while i was solo PVPing on ragnarok xD.

Events Attended

Always create the smallest character possible in game.

You can also use gamma 5 to make the night look like the daytime.