Razgriz

Champion Recommendations for learning each role

So I'm looking to expand my understanding of League, and increase the size of my champion pool to back myself up in case auto-fill kicks in. I have somewhat of an idea but I want to be absolutely sure, so I wanted to pose this question to all players:

If you had to pick a champion that can hold its own in each specific role (Top, Jungle, Mid, ADC, Support), what would you recommend and why?

Edited by Razgriz

Events Attended

I would say: 

Mid: Brand, Lissandra, Xerath
Top: Sion, Irellia, Malphite
Jungle: Sejuani, Kha'zix, Amumu
ADC: Jinx, Jhin, Caitlyn, Sivir
Support: Thresh, Brand, Shen

These are just my opinions from experience.
~SiXtYnInE

Events Attended

I'm going to separate champions into  categories on what  to improve by the  role you play.

Red = Positioning and Capitalizing on Mistakes

Green = Deny Farm, POKE  POKE POKE

Blue = Mechanics

TOP -  

Kennen, he is really good at keeping enemies at bay  by poking them whenever  they get to close, and the punishing them further for them getting way too close.

Teemo, I'm not trolling when I say  this, but Teemo is a great way to learn how to deny farm and when to poke and  the right way to combo. 

Fiora, she is a great fighter and has some micro  managing to hit the enemy's  vitals, along with  parrying incoming CC or  damage. She is really strong if you can negate someone's damage and  then capitalize with huge burst. 

JUNGLE -

All Junglers have to focus on the correct positioning of their  enemies to line up ganks.

Kindred, she helped me learn what routes to take and common pathings of the enemy jungler. Being able  to determine where the jungler is and taking your mark, is very  useful for game knowledge along with awareness. 

Evelynn, she helped me focus on kiting camps because of her  minute early game damage against camps. It helps you find a suitable route in  the jungle and to position yourself correctly for  a gank.

MID - 

Ahri, her main part of  her kit is  being able to land her charm. Playing  her, I learned how to use  my ult +  e to land a charm around the  minions, and it  helps me position a lot  better against the enemy  to make  them come out so I can punish them.

Orianna, playing as orianna,  you  want to make the enemy laner your bitch. Let  them know that if they  come close to YOUR CS, they will get the hurt. Also, you're a huge factor in teamfights, positioning your ball correctly can easily  be the deciding factor. 

LeBlanc, playing as  new LeBlanc, you're going  to feel like a douchebag, but her kit has so much potential mechanically, that it's a  good champion to  learn.

ADC - 

Draven,  having to manage your spinning axes  while trying to position correctly is tough. I love Draven, and playing him has taught me how to maneuver the minions and get  the axes where I want to engage a fight effectively. 

Caitlyn, she is an absolute menace to play against in lane properly. Her Q is so big and does a lot of damage, and her 6th auto hurts like a truck. Pretty much, bullying  your  opponent to stop CS is key as an ADC  to  get  that  advantage. 

Vayne, this champion is a beast  if you play her correctly. She helped me learn ranges on abilities based on her condemn, along with how to fight  and outplay in teamfights as a closer range  adc. 

SUPPORT -  

Blitzcrank/Morgana, you will also feel like a douchebag for playing  these champs, but they're all about  capitalizing on the enemy's mistakes.

Karma, her Q does ridiculous amounts of  damage and will easily shove an  enemy off  if they know you're there to do a lot of damage. 

Thresh, I will show you a video to describe  why this dude is a beast. 

Spoiler

Oh, and this.

Spoiler

Events Attended

I've been using Lee sin for jungle I wouldn't recommend using him if you haven't jungled prior but he is awesome.

In ADC I've used Caitlyn, Jhin, Draven, Twitch, Vayne. I enjoy Vayne alot and she is very easy to use and learn, Twitch to me is very hard to get used to, Caitlyn and Jhin are absolute gem's as they are so easy to learn and they deal so much damage and abilities are easy to use.

I would use Caitlyn overall

I haven't yet supported or mid laned so I can't give judgement on those

On top lane  I've used Jayce, Kayle and Kennen. Jayce is hard to get used to at first because there's 2 sets of abilities you need to get used to, Kennen is really good. If I was just starting top lane out I would use Kayle as he's cheap and OP but my favourite is Jayce and I would use him anyday

Events Attended

Here's my recommendations. Nobody will argue with this list.

ADC = Vayne

Top = Riven

Mid = Yasuo

Jgl = Lee

Support = Rage and say you will play Draven

Events Attended

12 hours ago, iDoNoDamage said:

ADC = Vayne

Top = Riven

Not arguing with them choices they're pretty good but I'd say Caitlyn ADC and Jayce top

Events Attended

They have this thing called 450 champions a reason, all of them have super low skill level,

Events Attended

For ADC go Trist or Cait

both teach you last hitting, have innate safety and a dash to help your mistakes with positioning 

Events Attended

On 1/1/2017 at 2:46 AM, SiXtYnInE said:

Support: Thresh, Brand, Shen

Thresh isn't the best start tbh

Events Attended

I feel Zed is one of the strongest mid laners

10 hours ago, Ennasai said:

Thresh isn't the best start tbh

you will get better with him overtime.

Edited by SiXtYnInE

Events Attended

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, everyone. Seeing everyone's input helps me think about what I want to learn next.

Currently my champion pool is:

Ashe, Diana, Illaoi, Karthus, Kayle, Morgana, Sivir, Twitch, Warwick -- whether by purchase or by gifts from my division friends. 

I also prioritize getting a role in bot lane since that is where I have put the most amount of time into learning. 

I know the chances of me being in a competitive team will be nearly non-existant if I do ADC primary and Support secondary, but if so, then there's no harm and no foul in it. Besides, I don't think I have the confidence to do competitive yet regardless. 

Feel free to keep making suggestions. :)

Events Attended

8 hours ago, SiXtYnInE said:

you will get better with him overtime.

I know, he's been one of my best for about 3 years now 

Events Attended

Ryze is 100% a strong mid-laner, I have seen people in my games tear the opposition apart with him, if you don't trust me watch a Faker Ryze montage 

Events Attended

Top: Maokai, Nautilius, Shen

Jungle: Hecarim,olaf, rek'sai

Mid: Twisted Fate, syndra, Lissandra

ADC: Ezreal, caitlyn, Twitch

Supp: Janna, Brand, soraka 

Events Attended

holding there lane prob

top gankplank 

jungle ammumu 

mid annie 

adc jhin 

support there are few who can do this so im going to say if you dont think your adc will do good at all then play annie she can build ap or sup and still get kills but only if your adc is like 0/5 then start geting kills.

Events Attended

Top: Darius. He's fun to play, has damage and builds tank after black cleaver. And if you learn Darius then chances are you'll eventually play against people who know how to play Darius. Keep in mind how they play aginst one, because Darius is one of the most played top laners and has a good win rate consistently. 

Jungle: Zac. Zac has been a good pick for a very long time, he has good sustain and his kit allows u to make mistakes. (His passive, and you build full tank 99% of the time). He has good ganks to which is what every jungler should be focusing on. 

Mid: Annie. Annie is a simple champion, just cs with ur Q in the laning phase, and as long as u got a decent amount of farm you can probably still one shot their adc or mid even if ur 0/0/0. Just keep in mind she isn't mobile at all. If you want a good champion to start mid off that has mobility try Ahri. 

ADC: Caitlyn. She's a good adc to learn the ropes. She has the most auto attack range for an adc so you can farm from a distance. As you get better with caitlyn and adc as a whole, u can being auto attacking the enemy as they walk up to get a  cs. Caitlyn is also very very safe with her massive range and 90 Caliber net (E)

Support:Janna. Soraka could be placed here too. But Janna really doesn't have to do much. Her shield gives ad so your carry will have a...BREEZE trading. But he reason I say Janna over Soraka is because Janna you don't really have all that much to do other than ult people away from your adc, walk with people to lane (Her passive gives a lot of movement speed) and timing your shield. 

Events Attended

Top-Darius/Quinn

Jungle-Hecarim/Rengar

Mid-Zed/Talon

ADC-Jhin/Varus

Support-Soraka/Malzahar

These are all op champs that take very little skill but if perfected are amazing and really retarded and can solo carry a game. Soraka is the only exception because she dosent do damage she just heals and heals and heals making your team unkillable 

Events Attended

Nautilus for top/Support/jungle. He is so strong right now in every position due to his CC

Lucian or Ezreal as ADC. Both are pretty safe picks that scale really well

Ahri or Orianna Mid  They provide so much pressure for different reasons. Ahri can pick apart individuals and Orianna can engage a team fight.

Events Attended

Morganna for support you have a stun some damage and a shield if you mess up. Plus an aoe stun for team-fights! She's a win win and kinda brain dead.

Events Attended

On 12/31/2016 at 1:21 PM, Razgriz said:

So I'm looking to expand my understanding of League, and increase the size of my champion pool to back myself up in case auto-fill kicks in. I have somewhat of an idea but I want to be absolutely sure, so I wanted to pose this question to all players:

If you had to pick a champion that can hold its own in each specific role (Top, Jungle, Mid, ADC, Support), what would you recommend and why?

TOP: Kled. Emphasizes using and understanding your kit, while displaying the direct benefits of building based off of it due to visual reward (getting your mount back mid fight), as well as him being very well rounded/versatile against most top champs. Usually follows standard meta builds due to his forgiving kit too. Has a great kit that focuses on triggering passives, snares + pulls, dashing, and ramming. Oh, and a sensitive ult that really helps you understand how to time things long in advance.

MID: Veigar and lux. Veigar helps you learn how to keep distances and farm, and controlling your lane using CC. Lux helps you learn how to control the enemy team using CC, and helps you learn how to work around your teammates to secure kills and objects.

JUNG: Warwick. He's the bee's knees in ease. Great life steal, great way to learn how to develop global awareness due to his W, and excellent practice on using AOE CC in fights.

ADC: Caitlin and Lucian. Caitlin focuses more on staying behind your team, and setting up defenses around yourself in order to maintain a higher threat level--baiting the enemy team to focus on you. That's why she's so good in tanky comps. The enemy team focuses you, they need to get to the tanks first because you're way in the back lines, and you get to cherry pick. Lucian is great because he's a ranged chaser-type ADC. It helps you learn how to evaluate what situations are good or not good to go all in on, as well as helps you focus on understanding the meta builds in relation to abilities. I.e., lifesteal and his passive.

SUPP: Sona and Karma. Sona is good for learning hyper aggressive supporting, due to her passive abilities. You get a strong knack on when you should be putting out extra damage, or when you should be slowing/CCing the other team. Also, her stun is stupidly easy to miss if you're not careful, so it helps you get timing down right--but Sona is also easier to learn because she's an efficient button masher late game. Karma helps you focus on getting combos down--so stunning and slowing enemies, or getting speed boosts to yourself or team. 

Events Attended

Top lane - RENGAR gives you a lot of insight into top lane matchups and how they work

Events Attended

I'm going to make two lists, because I don't necessarily recommend the champions I play.

List 1 (recommendations)

• Renekton
    • Pantheon
  • Jungle (note: I don't jungle)
    • Warwick
    • Hecarim
  • Mid
    • Syndra
    • Annie
    • *Malzahar
  • ADC
    • Jhin
    • Ashe
  • Support
    • *Zyra
    • Soraka

List 2 (my personal champion pool)

• Mid
    • Cassiopeia
    • Taliyah
    • *Malzahar
  • Support
    • *Zyra
    • Brand
    • Taliyah
    • Nami
    • Cassiopeia
    • Kayle
  • Adc
    • Caitlyn
    • Cassiopeia
  • I dodge if I get stuck jungling

*I both recommend and play Zyra. She's an awesome champion for any mid laners trying to get into support. I also recommend Malzahar, because he's strong, easy to play, and in my opinion fun. 

Edited by Shiro

Events Attended

14 hours ago, Shiro said:
  • Mid
    • Cassiopeia
    • Taliyah
    • *Malzahar
  • Support
    • *Zyra
    • Brand
    • Taliyah
    • Nami
    • Cassiopeia
    • Kayle
  • Adc
    • Caitlyn
    • Cassiopeia
  • I dodge if I get stuck jungling

Where's the Cass support?

200.gif

Edited by Natsugi
added in a bit that was meant for another post

Events Attended

My own recommendations would be:

Top - Darius, as he can still put out a lot of damage as full tank if your behind, but he focuses mainly on all in's and capitalising on other people's mistakes.

- Garen, as he can also deal damage while being able to go full tank, but he can sustain almost all trades if you just wait a  back, you may lose one or two minions at a time, however you will force your opponent out of lane or kill them and they will lose much more than that.

Mid - Swain, as he has decent waveclear and zoning potential, whilst being able to survive alot more than most midlaners, he doesn't require a lot of skill and can be a good champ to learn positioning wise as you'll find where your positioning is wrong, especially in lane, but due to his kit you'll be able to get out of the situation healthy and so learn without losing alot or turning the game into something that's not so enjoyable.

- Vladimir, like swain vlad is a champ with a lot of sustain but he is more squishy and so you would have less reliable recoveries than swain when being caught out apart from your blood pool. I would say Swain is more effective at learning laning phase while vlad is better mid to late game when you won't be surrounded by alot of other units to heal off.

Jungle - Amumu, as he is essential to most of his teamfights with his ult and has enough cc in his kit to set up and lock down kills for his team, especially with a rylai's aswell. But also because he is very weak early when it comes to invades, if you are invaded as amumu you cannot do anything unless your team moves to help you. This vulnerability will lead you to start properly warding your jungle and get you to learn where the best ward placements are.

- Warwick is very good at picking up when good times to gank are. The passive on his W globally signals when enemies fall below a certain amount of health and when you follow the blood trail gives you a speed buff. This ability tells you when a fight is happening and allows you to get to it quickly no matter where you are on the map, either to clean up or to secure the kill. After a while however you will start to become more map aware as you will start looking to find ganks before your W activates or a while after it has. This is because laners often start to fall back when the mark appears on them and they will be more wary of an incoming gank due to your W's active which mark's the closest enemy in range and gives you an even bigger speed buff to them. The reason that they will be scared of your passive is because they often mistake your active for it (especially in lower elos) and so think that you'll be on top of them in seconds. So you'll become more map aware to get close and then pop your passive to come in and stick on them straight away, or to wait for the laner to be brave enough to come back out of tower as they realise it's your passive and think that you may not be near them at all.

ADC - Caitlyn is probably the best ADC to learn with as well as being one of the strongest. Her range keeps her out of most trades and makes it easier to kite out opponents, coupled with her e, she stays far away from the danger while still being able to get involved. Learning to kite with Cait's range is a good start but I recommend progressing through the shorter ranged adc's till you get to someone like Vayne and once you've got good at kiting with them as well, go back and see how big a difference it makes to your Cait games. Cait also has her own root in the form of her traps which can be used again for kiting, but also for zoning and catching opponents. A good wall of traps means that melee champs will have to take a huge chunk of damage before they can reach cait, if they are able to after the distance she gets to during the root duration, while a hidden trap in a brush is good for isolating and catching opponents unaware. Cait also has reliable damage and her ult can be a great way of preventing an enemy from escaping as it is a lock on ability which has to be blocked, which in turn weakens another opponent if they can block it.

200.gif

Edited by Natsugi

Events Attended